ROMAN BRIDGE
30 minutesThe Roman Bridge is one of the most emblematic constructions of the city. Situated over the Tormes River, this bridge was, until the early 20th century, the only access route to Salamanca from the south. It is believed to have been built in the 1st century AD as part of the infrastructures of the Vía de la Plata (Silver Route), a route that connected Mérida with Astorga. Throughout the centuries, it has suffered the onslaught of Tormes floods, such as that of Saint Polycarp in 1626, after which part of its structure had to be reconstructed. It has 26 arches, of which only 15 are of Roman origin, made with semicircular arches and rusticated ashlar blocks. Its silhouette has been part of Salamanca's coat of arms, alongside the Vettonian boar, since the Middle Ages.
For about two thousand years, the history of the Roman Bridge has been closely linked to the historical evolution of the city. It is one of Salamanca's most representative monuments. Its image is intimately associated with that of the city, along with the Vettonian boar, both forming part of Salamanca's coat of arms.
For centuries, popular tradition attributed the construction of the Roman Bridge to Hercules and its subsequent rebuilding to Emperor Trajan. This belief was reinforced in 1767 when a platinum box containing a medal in honor of Hercules was found in the first arch of the bridge, further strengthening the legend that has endured in the collective imagination to this day.
Historical studies place the bridge's construction in the second half of the 1st century AD, as a response to the need to facilitate the crossing of the Tormes River for travelers along the Vía de la Plata/Roman Road, which connected Mérida with Astorga (Iter ab Emerita Asturicam). It is believed that this road could have been completed during the time of Emperor Augustus, around 19 BC, leading some researchers to think that a bridge combining stone and wood in its structure might have already existed then.
Although its construction likely dates back to the 1st century AD, the exact moment remains a subject of debate today. Some studies suggest that the bridge might have been built during Nero's reign; others attribute it to the reigns of Trajan or Hadrian, basing this hypothesis on architectural similarities with the Segovia Aqueduct and on epigraphic studies of the milestones preserved alongside the Roman road. The reality, to this day, is that there are no archaeological, epigraphic, or documentary evidences that allow for precisely determining the exact date of its construction.
Nor is there precise information about the role the bridge may have played in later eras. During the Reconquista, the bridge must have been an important crossing point on the communication routes of the Kingdom of León, but there is no documentary record of its existence until the 13th century, when a bull on a stone bridge is documented on the obverse of the Seal of the Salamanca Council. The bull and bridge also appear in the Fuero de Salamanca, dated to the second half of the 13th century. It would be from the 15th century onwards that references to the bridge would become common in the chronicles of various foreign travelers visiting the city.
Since its origins, the bridge has been exposed to the floods of the Tormes, considered, along with the Tagus, one of the most dangerous rivers on the Iberian Peninsula due to its frequent and devastating floods. These floods have caused numerous damages to the bridge's structure, and although the ruin of its southern half is traditionally attributed to the Flood of Saint Polycarp, the truth is that it must have suffered destruction on several occasions throughout its long history. It is known that by the 16th century, a reconstructed part already existed, so the great flood of 1626 did not destroy the original work but a structure that had already been restored previously. The definitive repair would not be completed until 1677, under the reign of Philip IV, as stated in the inscription located on the pillars at the bridge's exit towards the Arrabal.
In the late 19th century, the bridge faced one of its greatest threats. The Directorate of Roads proposed widening it with cantilever beams to adapt the roadway to the incipient automobile traffic. Thanks to the efforts of councilman Enrique Estevan Santos, the proposal was discarded, and it was decided to build a new bridge upstream. This new structure, built of iron, was opened to road traffic in 1913.
Until then, the Roman Bridge had been the only access to the city from the south. The construction of the Santa Teresa reservoir in the 1940s allowed for regulating the Tormes floods and preventing further damage to its structure. Declared a Historic-Artistic Monument in 1931, its use has been exclusively pedestrian since 1973.
In the vicinity of the Roman Bridge, on both banks of the river, there are numerous points of interest. On the right bank, on the city side, highlights include:
• The Bull Sculpture (El Verraco) of the Roman Bridge: right at the beginning of the bridge, you'll find this Vettonian sculpture of a bull carved in granite. It is an ancestral symbol dating back to pre-Roman times. • Lazarillo de Tormes Sculpture: a tribute to the famous literary character, located next to the bridge. • Church of Santiago: 12th-century Romanesque temple, a traditional crossing point for pilgrims. It was completely rebuilt in the mid-20th century. • Automobile History Museum: boasts an important collection of historical vehicles housed in an old electricity factory. • Casa Lis: Art Nouveau and Art Deco Museum. From the river area, its iron facade adorned with beautiful stained-glass windows is strikingly eye-catching. • Calixto and Melibea's Garden: a historic and romantic garden with spectacular views of the Cathedral and the river area. Ideal for strolling amidst vegetation and reliving the literary history of “La Celestina”.
On the other side of the river, in the Arrabal area, you'll find these charming spots: • Old Church of the Holy Trinity of Arrabal: temple of medieval origin. • New Church of the Holy Trinity of Arrabal: construction from the mid-20th century with an impressive mural by Genaro de No Soler. • Roman Bridge Viewpoint: an ideal panoramic spot to photograph the bridge and the city at sunset. • Embarcadero Viewpoint: a riverside space with relaxing views and access to nautical activities. • Enrique Estevan Bridge: an elegant 20th-century iron bridge, with views of the city and the Roman Bridge.
The bridge is made up of two clearly differentiated sections, separated by a central turret that protrudes from the roadway. The part closest to the city's historic center, known in historiography as “the old bridge,” is of Roman origin; while the more modern section, called “new bridge or Hispanic bridge,” was reconstructed in later eras.
Origin and Evolution Although the exact date of its construction is not known, it is estimated to have been erected between the reigns of emperors Augustus (27 BC – 14 AD) and Vespasian (69–79 AD), making it a bimillennial work. Throughout its history, it has been restored on multiple occasions and has resisted several demolition attempts.
From an architectural point of view, the bridge is composed of 26 arches, of which the first fifteen—counting from its northern side to the central turret—are of Roman construction. Its total length is around 350m, and its width varies between 6 and 7m.
Its structure is divided into two clearly differentiated parts; a turret is located in the center of the bridge, marking the separation between both sections. The Roman part was built with granite from the Los Santos quarries, while the modern or Hispanic part was reconstructed in later eras with stone from Ledesma.
Roman Part The length of this Roman section is 201.20 meters, with a roadway width of almost six meters. The Roman structure is characterized by its symmetry and solidity, with granite ashlar blocks laid without mortar. The technique used in carving the ashlar blocks is bossage, where the notches for hoisting them with forceps during construction are visible. Regarding its structure, it consists of semicircular arches with equally bossed voussoirs and spans between 9.50 and 9.80 meters. The height of the arches is approximately six meters. Upstream, it features pilasters resting on triangular-plan cutwaters. The cobblestone roadway seen today is not the original bridge's. Archaeological stratigraphy studies have been carried out, confirming that about fifty centimeters deep, there are remains of a pavement made with large slabs, slabs that do not appear in the more modern part.
New Part Built between the 17th and 18th centuries, this section extends from the central turret to the left bank of the Tormes River, with a length of 157.5 meters. It is composed of eleven semicircular arches, clearly distinct in style and materials from those of the Roman era, using stone from the Ledesma area. At the entrance from the Arrabal, there are two pilasters whose inscriptions commemorate the restoration carried out in the 17th century. The left pilaster displays the royal coat of arms and an inscription alluding to the works carried out under the reign of Philip IV, directed by Pedro de la Puente Montecillo. The inscription indicates that the work was finished in 1681: This bridge construction was completed while D. Pedro de Prado, Knight Corregidor, Knight of the Order of Santiago, Lord of the town of Adanero, Chief Bailiff of the Royal Chancery of Valladolid, was in office. Year 1681.